US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pointed out on Tuesday that the State Department has begun preparations for the transfer of power to the upcoming Biden administration.
The ministry started doing so after the head of the federal public service GSA gave the green light for the transfer of power on Monday after weeks of refusal.
“Today we started the process to see what the GSA has decided, and we will do everything that the law requires,” Pompeo said in an interview with Fox News. “We are going to bring this to a successful conclusion.”
Earlier this month, Pompeo sparked surprise and horror when he appeared to be making a joke suggesting that his ministry was preparing for a second term for President Donald Trump, the electoral loser.
He then said in a press conference that there would be a “smooth transition to a second Trump administration.”
Although Trump gave his blessing to the GSA’s decision on Monday, he insists that his Democratic challenger Joe Biden won the election early this month using widespread voting fraud. Trump and his legal team have not been able to present any evidence for that so far.